Legal Counsel (f/m/d)
Spreadshirt, Inc. is looking for a Legal Counsel to support its U.S. business in a wide range of legal areas including contracts, consumer protection, corporate governance, copyright and trademark, privacy and data protection and various projects as they arise from time to time.
About the Team
The Legal Counsel will be the only attorney working for Spreadshirt, Inc., however, this role works very closely with the parent company’s legal team, which is based in Leipzig, Germany. For the most part, the Legal Counsel assumes sole responsibility for U.S. legal matters, but coordination with the German legal team is essential to maintain company policies and practices.
About the Role
Option 1: This role is fully remote.
Option 2: This role is based in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, but the Legal Counsel may work remotely on a flexible schedule, coming to the office only on an as-needed basis.
Option 3: This role is based in Greensburg, Pennsylvania, but the Legal Counsel may work remotely on a flexible schedule, coming to the office one to two times per week.
The Legal Counsel will travel up to four times per year to visit the corporate headquarters in Leipzig Germany. Additional travel may be required, as necessary, to visit other offices or production sites in the United States.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is thoughtful and careful, but also curious to learn more and uncover creative legal solutions to business issues. Candidates must be self-starters who can work with minimal direction because the company’s overall business is distributed across several countries, time zones, and subject matter areas.
We understand that the successful candidate may not have every single qualification listed below, but we expect that the candidate will take the initiative to develop these skills on the job.
In this role, you will:
- Translate complex legal requirements and advice into plain English, day-to-day practical guidance for non-lawyer business stakeholders
- Support Spreadshirt’s internal stakeholders with their various legal needs, including checking product features for compliance with unfair advertising laws, data protection laws, and reviewing or drafting contracts to meet business goals
- Review, create, update, and maintain contracts and contract templates
- Advise the company on intellectual property risks in the United States legal environment
- Advise the company on how to proceed with adversarial legal disputes, for example intellectual property infringement claims, including negotiating with the opposing party and/or coordinating with outside counsel
- Advise the company on employment law matters and risks in the United States legal environment
- Create and maintain internal documentation regarding legal requirements, best practices, and FAQs to build the company’s knowledge base
- Stay informed of relevant upcoming legal developments, and inform internal stakeholders when necessary to stay ahead of the curve
- Bar member in good standing in at least one state (in-house waiver/registration is OK)
- 4+ years of experience, in any combination of law firm or in-house roles, focusing on a business-oriented practice
- Experience with drafting, reviewing, and managing contracts
- Experience managing outside counsel (if currently in an in-house counsel role)
- A keen sense of legal judgment to identify and prioritize critical tasks
- A strong work ethic
- A good sense of humor
- Experience or familiarity with data protection and privacy rules in the United States, Canada, and Australia
- Experience or familiarity with copyright and trademark law, including both filing trademark applications and litigation (and pre-litigation) arguments in infringement cases
- Experience handling corporate governance tasks for privately held companies, such as planning and running shareholders and Board of Directors meetings, drafting resolutions, and related compliance tasks
- Experience or familiarity with employment law topics
- Experience or familiarity with insurance policies and coverage topics
- German language skills are a plus
We value diversity at Spread Group. We are proud of and continue to encourage the increasing diversity of our company culture and community. Your skills, talents, and experience are our focus no matter your age, colour, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital or disability status.
We look forward to receiving your application, preferably online via our career portal in German or English or as a PDF document to email@example.com. Please state reference number V00-1606 and don't forget to let us know about salary expectations and your earliest starting date.
P.S.: We love creative CVs, a can-do attitude, and fresh perspectives. We want characters full of ideas and drive – no matter how old you are, where you come from or what your background is. Show us what you're made of!